Saturday, March 7, 2009

East Dry River Fire Leaves Dad Of 3 Homeless

FIRE of unknown origin yesterday gutted a house in East Dry River, Port-of-Spain leaving a 47-year-old father of three homeless and over $125,000 in losses.

Gerald Jacob said he left his Fromager Street, East Dry River home at about 7.45 am and headed to his workplace which is located not too far from his home. Two hours later, he saw smoke and decided to see what was going on.

“It was then that I got a call on my cellphone from a neighbour who said my house was on fire. By the time I reached home, my house was already in flames,” Jacob said. “I lost everything. Two apartments and even my little workshop with all my tools and machinery. It’s all gone.”

Jacob who said he works for the Catholic Board as a maintenance officer, said he was not too concerned as to where he would be staying because he knew he could rely on family and even friends for lodgings. What worries him is finance to rebuild.

“I hope I can pick myself up here and move on. But I know financially that is going to be one of the hardest things I will come across. Is 20 years now I living here. I would have to seek assistance to have the place rebuilt.”

The fire from Jacob’s home spread to one of his neighbour’s houses and caused severe damage to the upper storey and the western end of the building.

Fire officials said their response was hampered because their trucks were unable to reach the burning house because of the narrow roads. In the end, they had to link two hoses to reach the house. Investigations are continuing.

Source: www.newsday.co.tt

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time on your blog. I will be back. Stay fabulous. It keeps 'em guessing.
    http://RFourBiz.Blogspot.com ... Follow me on Twitter: http://Twitter.com/TheSecretDiary

    ReplyDelete